IMI: Insight into Strengths and Development
“Kiddy were a true partner – they worked with us closely and delivered best in class Assessment for Development Centres perfectly tailored to our business.”
Key Account Director
IMI is a FTSE 100 global engineering company. Driving organic growth, particularly in emerging markets, is at the core of its business strategy. This requires a world class key account and commercial management function.
We partnered with IMI to create a unique assessment approach that enabled them to assess the bench strength of their senior commercial people and provide insight into their strengths and development needs.
To date around half the commercial population have been through the assessment process, with the results already being used to drive action.
Driving revenue growth with both new and existing customers is at the heart of global engineering company IMI plc’s business strategy, with a key growth lever being the effectiveness of its Sales & Business Development function.
Kiddy was engaged to provide IMI with an assessment of their existing bench strength and provide line managers with the information required to take action.
We worked with IMI to identify the key differentiators of successful Sales & BD people, reflecting the specific challenges faced by IMI as well as insights from Kiddy’s work with other leading organisations. We then developed a robust assessment approach – consisting of a unique business simulation to test these skills in IMI’s business context, combined with an interview and psychometric assessment.
IMI senior managers were then trained in the approach to enable them to co-assess with Kiddy consultants. A series of one day Assessment & Development Centres were run globally – with individuals being drawn from the Sales & BD functions from across their five platform businesses. Each participant received individual feedback and a report capturing the key strengths and development actions required for him or her to become high performers. Their managers received the same information.
The assessments identified some clear strengths existed in the function as a whole:
- IMI’s Sales & BD people were responsive to immediate customer needs and had good market knowledge. The assessments also confirmed that a significant capability gap needed to be closed to achieve the business performance targets:
- IMI’s Sales & BD people needed to be better at engaging with customers to uncover bigger opportunities
The assessments also identified that no significant differences existed between the five platform businesses. These outputs enabled targeted actions to be taken to Develop, Move, Promote and Recruit the Sales & BD people:
- Line managers were equipped to coach and develop skills where possible, and move to alternate roles or exit from the business where necessary
- Investment in skills training was targeted at the critical skills identified and at the individuals with potential to develop
- High potential individuals were fast tracked to more senior roles
- Changes in the approach to external recruitment were made, setting a minimum performance threshold for external hires
Benefit from our research & expertise
Sign up to Mindset, our monthly newsletter, which features our latest insight and links to interesting articles.
Download our brochure
Download our latest brochure
Get in touch
To find out how we can transform your people and your business